While you may not always be able to doze off to the sound of crashing waves, you can certainly imagine that tranquility with some nautical decor. By furnishing your bedroom with a variety of nautical items and themes, you will never feel too far from the ocean. Only 20% of Americans reported feeling happy with their home decor in a recent survey, and if you are one of these, perhaps a little salt water imagery is just what you need. Consider these ideas for making your bland bedroom into a nautical haven.
- Consider Color: Navy blue and white are not only reminiscent of beach vacations,they are also elegant choices for a nautical bedroom. Your bedding is a great place to add these colors, by using throw pillows and blankets creatively. Area rugs and plush chairs can also add pops of waterside colors.
- Hang Rustic Details: A nautical clock or anchor are wall details that provide a subtle hint of the sea. Touches of pirate decor can also be lovely touches. The key is to integrate these seamlessly into the rest of the decor, as to not overwhelm the room.
- Repurpose Creatively: Find an old chest and transform it into a table at the foot of your bed, or use an old barrel to store blankets. There are plenty of ways to repurpose nautical equipment as home decor, you just have to think outside of the box.
- Use Texture: For nautical items and accompanying decor, it's all about texture. This look often demands a more rustic look than other aesthetics, but that doesn't always have to be true, so don't be afraid to mix worn out items with more modern pieces to give the room more depth.
- Display Nautical Prints: To tie the look together, hang nautical prints around the room.These can be as bold or as subtle as you like, and it is great when they vary in size. Anything from photographs to abstract paintings are available to complete your room's look.
Remember that nautical decorations are not exclusive to one aesthetic. You can integrate this style into any room while staying true to your personal taste. And of course, you can always change your decor around when you feel like switching it up. We know that your taste can change like the tide.